Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Cancer, chemo and hair

I knew that my hair would fall out, I just didn't realize how fast and how annoying it would be. Every time I brush my hair I get handfuls of hair. So I have decided that since I have no control over this or over what is happening to me I can at least have some control over my hair and when it all goes.

Thursday November 11th, that is the day that I have decided to shave it and get rid of it once and for all. At least I will not have to deal with picking hair up off my desk at work, out of the sink in the bathroom, out of the brush, off my clothes and I will not have to sweep the floor every morning. I had a good cry on Tuesday when it all started and now I am just really pissed off.

I am nervous as to how my head will look. After all I have split it open three times in the front. Once when I was little and hit my head on my grandmothers stair rail. Once when I got in a car wreck and used the windshield to stop me. And the last time when I tripped and fell in my house (yes I have been told I am a klutz - it runs in the family).

I will post pictures of my bald head, new wig and my brave sisters who get to shave my head. Thank God for them because I am quite sure that I could not make it through all of this if not for them. Even my sister who can't be here for this has been a big supporter. She is the one who told me "take control and shave it. It is just chemo and the only thing you can control is when and how it comes out". Great advice sis, I am taking it and taking control. At least it is not a body part and it will eventually grow back. It is times like this in life when you get to really find out what you are made of.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Trudy, just want to let you know that I have thinking about you and the struggle that you have ahead of you and I just want you to know that I KNOW you will kick it's ass. You are a very strong woman, and nothing is going to get in your way. Thank you for always being here for me when I needed a little encouragement and a reminder of what a great son I had......we love you and if you need to talk you can always talk to me.......Sherry Parent aka yoursugabear@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete