Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Radiation Done Chemo Done!

Well I am through the worst part of the treatment!
Tommorrow I see the medical oncologist to discuss Tamoxifen. It is the standard treatment after chemo and radiation to give me a better chance that the cancer will not return. I have been reading the side effects and talking to a very good friend who is taking the drug. She says that it makes her feel icky.

Among the side effects listed
  • Vaginal discharge -- up to 50 percent
  • Water retention -- up to 32 percent
  • Nausea -- up to 26 percent
  • Irregular menstrual periods -- up to 25 percent
  • Weight loss -- up to 23 percent
  • Vaginal bleeding -- up to 23 percent. 
  • Bone pain
  • Back pain
  • Headaches
  • Cough
  • High cholesterol 
  • Fatigue
  • Muscle pain
  • Ovarian cysts
  • Skin changes
  • Infection
  • Indigestion or heartburn
  • Insomnia 
  • Constipation or diarrhea
  • Anemia
  • Weight gain 
  • Mood changes
  • Hair loss 
While all of these sound like a lot of fun, I am not sure that I want to have any of these side effects.
We will see if my doctor can convince me that the benefit outweighs the side effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment